- AnesthesiologyReview Panel
- Cardiovascular Diagnostic DevicesCFR Sub-Part
- Cardiovascular Monitoring DevicesCFR Sub-Part
- Cardiovascular Therapeutic DevicesCFR Sub-Part
- Diagnostic DevicesCFR Sub-Part
- MiscellaneousCFR Sub-Part
- Monitoring DevicesCFR Sub-Part
- Neurological Therapeutic DevicesCFR Sub-Part
- Physical Medicine Therapeutic DevicesCFR Sub-Part
- Prosthetic DevicesCFR Sub-Part
- Surgical DevicesCFR Sub-Part
- Therapeutic DevicesCFR Sub-Part
- CardiovascularReview Panel
- ChemistryReview Panel
- DentalReview Panel
- Ear, Nose, ThroatReview Panel
- Gastroenterology and UrologyReview Panel
- General HospitalReview Panel
- HematologyReview Panel
- ImmunologyReview Panel
- MicrobiologyReview Panel
- NeurologyReview Panel
- Obstetrical and GynecologicalReview Panel
- OphthalmicReview Panel
- OrthopedicReview Panel
- PathologyReview Panel
- Physical MedicineReview Panel
- RadiologyReview Panel
- General and Plastic SurgeryReview Panel
- ToxicologyReview Panel
- Medical GeneticsReview Panel
- UnknownReview Panel
Absorbable Lung Biopsy Plug
- Page Type
- Product Code
- A pre-formed (polymerized) absorbable lung biopsy plug is intended to provide accuracy in marking a biopsy location for visualization during surgical resection and closure of pleural punctures associated with percutaneous, transthoracic needle lung biopsies. Upon, deployment into the biopsy tract, the plug expands to fill the biopsy void and remains in place until resorbed.
- Physical State
- Polymerized hydrogel plug, cylindrical in shape and placed by a deployment system following lung biopsy by smaller biopsy needle/instrument.
- Technical Method
- Upon deployment into a lung biopsy tract, the plug expands to fill the biopsy void provide closure of the biopsy void.
- Target Area
- to be used in the lung, specifically in punctures left by percutenous, transthoracic needles
- Regulation Medical Specialty
- General and Plastic Surgery
- Review Panel
- Submission Type
- Device Classification
- Class 2
- Regulation Number
- GMP Exempt?
- Summary Malfunction Reporting
- Implanted Device
- Life-Sustain/Support Device
- Third Party Review
- Not Third Party Eligible
- MAUDE Alerts
- View and Sign Up For MAUDE Alerts
CFR § 878.4755 Absorbable lung biopsy plug
§ 878.4755 Absorbable lung biopsy plug.
(a) Identification. A preformed (polymerized) absorbable lung biopsy plug is intended to provide accuracy in marking a biopsy location for visualization during surgical resection and closure of pleural punctures associated with percutaneous, transthoracic needle lung biopsies. Upon deployment into the biopsy tract, the plug expands to fill the biopsy void and remains in place until resorbed.
(b) Classification. Class II (special controls). The special controls for this device are:
(1) The design characteristics of the device must ensure that the geometry and material composition are consistent with the intended use.
(2) Performance testing must demonstrate deployment as indicated in the accompanying labeling, including the indicated introducer needles, and demonstrate expansion and resorption characteristics in a clinically relevant environment.
(3) In vivo evaluation must demonstrate performance characteristics of the device, including the ability of the plug to not prematurely resorb or migrate and the rate of pneumothorax.
(4) Sterility testing must demonstrate the sterility of the device and the effects of the sterilization process on the physical characteristics of the plug.
(5) Shelf-life testing must demonstrate the shelf-life of the device including the physical characteristics of the plug.
(6) The device must be demonstrated to be biocompatible.
(7) Labeling must include a detailed summary of the device-related and procedure-related complications pertinent to the use of the device and appropriate warnings. Labeling must include identification of compatible introducer needles.
[79 FR 13219, Mar. 10, 2014]